Friday, June 26, 2009

Surprise Renewal of Vows at Jump Off Rock

Chad from Ohio (always in the subject field of his emails) began emailing me months ago. He had a special surprise for his wife Holly and needed some guidance. Chad and his family were planning a vacation to North Carolina and while here he wanted to renew his wedding vows in a 'surprise' ceremony. He was looking for a beautiful outdoor location and I suggested Jump Off Rock, near Hendersonville.
This is a well kept secret! His sister said she had lived near Asheville all of her life and had never heard of the place. It's actually in Laurel Hill, about 5 miles from Hendersonville. I took this photo in the early spring.

Chad was able to pull off the surprise... taking Holly to Wal-Mart while their family gathered at the rock. I took my portable iPod player as as they walked up I used my remote to begin playing their 'special' song... Their family, including their daughters Sarah and Kellie, witnessed, once again, a public delaration of their love.

As part of the ceremony I asked them to touch each other's wedding band and renew the promises made on their wedding day. As an added surprise, Chad then presented Holly with an anniversary ring. (He said Holly was an accountant and it had been difficult making the purchase without her knowledge!)

This will be a trip to North Carolina that they will always remember!