Sunday, June 21, 2009

Jennifer and Kevin marry at Weaverville

Jennifer and Kevin contacted me last summer about officiating their wedding. They spent the past year planning and preparing. Their big day finally arrived. Today they woke up as husband and wife, relieved that the work is over and ready to start making memories as a new family.

And today, Kevin has a wonderful surprise for his new wife. Without her knowledge he reserved a cabin in Gatlinburg for a romantic honeymoon. I told Kevin that he was going to make a great husband!

Like many couples, Jennifer, Kevin and their families did all the work themselves: flowers, decorations, and food... lots and lots of food..

When I arrived, everyone was hard at work, putting the last minute touches on everything. Couples can save money doing the work themselves but remember it is 'work' and you'll need lots of help.

When I arrived... now that's a funny story. Jennifer had told me that she had, at the last minute, decided to more her wedding indoors. I was a little surprised when I arrived and everything was set up outside, including guests already sitting in chairs. I immediately walked up to the DJ to discuss the music. He said he didn't have a clue about what was going on. So, I walked upstairs where the bride was getting dressed. I asked where Jennifer was, and the woman said 'Wendy', I said, 'no Jennifer, or does she have a nickname, Wendy'? She told me this was 'so and so's wedding. I was speechless. I was certain that I was in the correct place but definitely not the right couple. As it turns out I was at a church fellowship hall and the community center was directly across the walkway.. Was I ever relieved.

Jennifer and Kevin used many of my suggestions in their wedding ceremony, Mother's Roses, Parent's Blessings, and a beautiful ceremony that included their three children. More on that at a later time.

And talking about children.... like I mentioned in my previous post, plan for the unexpected. In her excitement, Phoenix forgot to toss the rose petals during the processional. However, she had a plan and decided to toss them on her way out! These are truly the things that make a wedding special.