Sunday, June 14, 2009

Short Notice Weddings in North Carolina

Saturday at Hickory Nut Falls
I had not scheduled any weddings for this past weekend because we were having a family pool party on Saturday afternoon to celebrate our granddaughter's birthday. However, it didn't turn out that way!
I received a call on Tuesday requesting a small ceremony at Chimney Rock on Saturday. The bride told me she knew they could get married at the courthouse but she wanted something more memorible. I told her it's always nice to have a 'spot'; you can return on anniversaries and renew your promises to each other.
I explained that I was heading out of town but was available anytime before noon. Perfect! The park suggested early morning before the park got crowded. At 9:00 about a dozen friends and family headed to Hickory Nut Falls. The walk is not hard, 1 1/2 miles round trip but it is hot, even early in the morning, especially when you're wearing dress clothes. I always allow plenty of time so everyone can 'catch their breath' before the ceremony begins.

Even though this was a last minute wedding I still had time to prepare a ceremony designed for this individual couple, which included a blessing for their unborn child.
As it turns out, they are members of a small church and their minister is not yet ordained so he could not officially marry them. When I found this out I asked if he would like to offer a prayer and his blessing for the marriage. Very touching and something I'm sure they will always remember!
Lake Norman Wedding - Chad and Rhonda
And.... on Wednesday I received a call from Rhonda. Their wedding was scheduled for Sunday and their minister had been called out of town due to a family emergency. She was thrilled to find out that I was available. Again, even though short-notice I prepared an individualized ceremony and Rhonda was able to review a draft on Thursday.

I like for couples to know exactly what will be said on their wedding day. Someone recently told me about at wedding they attended. The groom's father insisted that his minister marry the couple. Without the bride's knowledge (or approval) the minister included love, honor and obey in her wedding vows. Her attendants held their breath, wondering what the bride would say or do. Reluctantly she said "I do".

There were no surprises concerning the ceremony but there was a surprise for me! When I arrived, I was greeted by the owner of the home. As she was telling me about the plans I kept looking at her, thinking that I knew her. Finally, I asked if she had worked at UNCC. She immediately recognized me as well. It is truly a small world.

Ceremonies should always have a personal touch. As you can see from Rhonda's hair clip, Chad is not the only love in her life! On their horse farm they board, train and show around 25 horses. In fact, they are headed out later this week for a horse show.

As Roy Rogers would say, 'Happy trails to you'. I know, I know... showing my age.....

excerpt from the song written by Dale Evans.....
Some trails are happy ones, others are blue. It's the way you ride the trail that counts, Here's a happy one for you.