Thursday, July 2, 2009

Short Notice Wedding in North Carolina

On Tuesday I went to pick up my new car, well, not really new (2007) and not really car (RAV4), and have dinner with my daughter and her husband. We were watching wedding videos and ended up staying longer than we planned. It was 9:00 and since we had a two hour drive I decided to check our home answering machine. There was a message from a couple wanting to know if it was possible to get married the next morning.

I returned their call and we talked about the options. They were in Asheville, headed to Wilmington the next morning. Lisa and Lyle are from Illinois and planned on seeing as much of North Carolina as possible! Arrangements were made.

It was after midnight when I returned home. I took off my shoes and grabbed my laptop. I never use the same ceremony twice, even for short-notice weddings. Each wedding is special and needs to be treated accordingly.

Lisa and Lyle were at the Register of Deeds office the next morning, bright and early, and immediately drove to our retreat center. They were so happy! And not bragging, everyone who comes to our retreat center is extremely pleased with our facility.

I talked with Lisa and found out that they had made arrangements to get married at a small mountain 'wedding chapel'. When they arrived at the site they were both disappointed. According to them, it did not look anything like the pictures on the internet. She said it didn't 'feel' right and she just couldn't get married there. I'm a firm believer in going with your 'gut instinct'.

Lisa said their ceremony was perfect and emphasized the very things that are important to them as a couple. I hear this a lot and seem to have a 'knack' for knowing what needs to be said.

Their wedding was beautiful and my husband, as always, took some great photos. Lyle told him that he was certainly good enough to consider himself professional!

Now the happy couple is in Wilmington enjoying the 4th of July holiday. Soon they will return home and begin preparations to celebrate their marriage with family and friends. I have no doubts they will remember their trip to North Carolina with fond memories...