Friday, October 1, 2010

Wedding at The Grand Bohemian - Asheville

I’ve married several couples who spent their honeymoon at the Grand Bohemian in Asheville. When Dee contacted me about officiating her wedding, I was excited about having the opportunity to check it out for myself.


The Grand Bohemian is a lovely facility and truly ‘Grand’.. The Bohemian is actually two separate buildings on opposite sides of the street. I will admit I had a little difficulty finding the entrance to the parking garage…but that’s just me..


Dee and Eric traveled to Asheville for their destination wedding. Because of this we were not able to meet ahead of time, which is no problem, really. Everything can be planned with phone calls and email. I met Eric and his best man, Reginald, when I arrived at the Grand Bohemian. We discussed final details of the wedding and then I headed over to the ceremony site to get things ready.. Although the weather was not a problem, Dee and Eric chose to have their wedding ceremony on the covered terrace.

I was able to meet Dee while she was waiting for her ‘cue’. Some of the guests were running late so we delayed the ceremony a few minutes. Anyway, as I was walking away she asked if I would give Eric a message. I was expecting something sweet, perhaps a ‘secret’ message. Was I surprised… She told me to tell Eric, ‘Don’t lock your knees!’. Now this is good advice, just not what I imagined…

There are many unity ceremonies that can be included in your wedding, candles, sand, wine, water….. Dee and Eric chose to incorporate the Unity Cross. If you’re not familiar with this, there is a wooden base.

The man places an empty cross on the base and then the woman places a delicate cross inside, thus ‘completing’ the man. Dee and Eric inserted a peg on each side to hold the crosses in place. I placed the final peg, ‘Those whom God have joined together, let no one separate’. Several guests told me they were especially touched by this part of the ceremony.

I’m hoping to receive a few photos from Dee and Eric. Here are a few that I was able to capture.

Here’s the smiling groom… I don’t think he stopped smiling all night.

I was sitting near the door so I snapped this photo as they were introduced, once again, as ‘husband and wife’.

And here they are on the dance floor. I’m sure the photographer was tired at the end of the evening. She was everywhere and didn’t miss a thing!

Hopefully, I’ll have more photos to add at a later date.