Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wedding at Crooked Oak Mountain Inn - Asheville

It's been a while since I officiated a wedding at Crooked Oak Mountain Inn and I was excited about seeing Bear and Patti, the innkeepers.

The location is perfect. One minute you're in downtown Asheville and then suddenly you're away from the traffic and hustle/bustle and enter a magical place. You can just tell from these photos that this place emits love.

When I arrived, after a hug and kiss on the cheek, Bear parked my car for me. Such a gentleman... he did remark about my Midnight Milky Way wrapper in the floorboard. (A girl's gotta do something while she's driving down the road.... ) He confessed that he 'approved' of my choice. I just can't tell you how nice Bear and Patti are! They are so friendly and happy. You feel like you are visiting family and it's always a joy to officiate a wedding at their inn.

I met Daniel, the groom, as soon as I arrived. He immediately commented on how happy he was to have his wedding at this location. He and Cindy wanted to get married at a Bed and Breakfast and had a list of several they visited. He said the Crooked Oak Mountain Inn, well Bear and Patti to be exact, was the only one that would even consider what they wanted. He said the other places were not even interested in talking with them about their plans. Too bad for them... they missed being part of a wonderful wedding celebration!

Cindy contacted me many months ago. And it was a good thing... she wanted to marry on October 10th. 10/10/10. I would love to know just how many couples were married on this day. I guess the next big one will be 11/11/11. If you considering this day, I suggest you start planning now!

Because of the ages of their sons, Cindy and Daniel (being wise parents) wanted a fairly short ceremony and they wanted something to include their sons. They decided a family unity sand ceremony would be perfect. They took each son, individually, to choose a container and color of sand. Wouldn't you know it! Both boys picked the same container and same color of sand.
Also, being wise parents, they had a 'practice' about a week before the wedding.

There is one other thing I want to say about their wedding. Smash cake! Have you heard of this? The cake is made of hardened chocolate. There is a small hammer and you 'smash' the cake. The inside is filled with wonderful chocolate truffles. Heaven for a chocoholic and what the boys were most excited about. This cake was prepared by The Chocolate Fetish in Asheville. My camera battery 'died' before the smashing but Cindy has assured me that she will send photos soon..
And she did...
And here's the 'smashed' cake.. yummy


There will never be a dull moment for this family!