Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wedding at Belmont Estate - Promises Kept

I am so very happy to be updating my blog with photos from the wedding I officiated yesterday.

In April 2009 there was a promise of engagement before the end of the year if North Carolina won the NCAA tournament. Well, I must say the man is good for his word. Kris proposed, Ally said yes... and the rest is history.

What a wonderful wedding celebration! I have known Allyson since she was in middle school and have known Kris for several years now. It was truly an honor to be part of their wedding celebration.

Officiating the wedding of a friend can be emotional. This was one such wedding. As soon as Kris saw Allyson, I heard him 'sniffle'. I was not about to look at him so I looked at her sister, the matron of honor. She was crying. As I looked down the line of bridesmaids, every one of them was crying... Now to look at the moms. Tears there as well... But such happy tears! I took a deep breath. I knew my voice could not crack! 'We are gathered here in the presence of God to celebrate the marriage of ......'

Their ceremony was very touching. Each had written their own wedding vows. And not something they found in a book or over the internet. Very special words written just for each other. I was told that even the DJ was crying!

Allyson wanted to recognize her Irish heritage so we incorporated a handfasting in their ceremony. She selected a plaid fabric and after rings were exchanged we 'tied the knot'. Then she and Kris repeated Irish wedding vows in unison.
We swear by peace and love to stand.
Heart to heart and hand in hand.
Mark, O God, and hear us now,
Confirming this our sacred vow;
Here is my hand to hold with you,
to bind us for life so that I’ll grow old with you.
Having fun taking photos!


And I have to include this one. They had a 'sweetheart' table for the reception. They actually thought they would be able to eat without interruptions. Needless to say that didn't work...



And yet another photo. When I officiate a wedding I don't normally stay until the end of the reception.

A few of the guys, (maybe my son-in-law - actually both of them...) slipped away to 'decorate' the car. There was an orange traffic cone sitting on top.. Well just look at the picture. What you can't see is that someone (CT) decided to decorate the car with CheezeWhiz. Now have you ever heard of that!

This car was decorated inside and out..I'm not sure it will ever be the same...

It took a lot of planning, and a few dollars. Photos like this say it all. It was their dream wedding. I wish many, many years of happiness for these two. I love you, Allyson and Kris! It was a wonderful wedding...    What God has joined together, let no one put asunder..