Thursday, July 1, 2010

Outdoor Wedding at Deerfields near Asheville

I love when couples choose a location for their wedding that reflects their personalities. (and there are many, many wonderful places to get married in North Carolina, from the mountains to the coast.....)

Katie and Philip love the outdoors and wanted to have a wedding 'weekend' with family and friends. Many couples do this but not quite like Philip and Katie.. 

I had never been to Deerfields so I was looking forward to looking over the 940 acre facility. And what a treat it was. Not only do they allow weddings but they are host to many art and music festivals. When you look at the following photos, you'll know why.

There is a beautiful lake surrounded by many, many trees. It is truly a haven where you feel safe, cradled in the arms of nature.

Katie and Philip's friends are nature lovers and enjoy tent camping. I heard several of the guests talking about hiking on the Appalachian Trail. In fact, one couple said that their daughter was carrying her own back pack when she was three years old..

As you can imagine this was the perfect spot for this crowd. Any many of them pitched their tents beside the lake

What was really unique about this wedding was the outdoor chapel. A few guests were already seated when I took this photo but I couldn't resist. There were enough benches for family to sit while the other guests stood, gathered around the chapel. I wish I could have gotten more photos. Hopefully Katie will send me some.

 Katie and Philip wanted to include something special for their ceremony. After looking over the list of various elements that can be included they decided to use Blessing Stones. Katie had given Philip a rock tumbler for Christmas so he went to work polishing various gemstones. Some of the guests didn't want to toss their stones so they were told that it was ok to keep them! Katie was deteremined to have good wishes, she had a stone in each hand..
I left after the stone toss. I needed to get on the road and it was time for the happy couple to celebrate!