Friday, May 20, 2011

Wedding at Max Patch on the Appalachian Trail

I’m always up for an adventure. Well, yesterday was an adventure!

Like many couples, Susan and Scott were planning a wedding and looking for some suggestions. Susan mentioned that they love the outdoors and were hiking the Appalachian Trail. It takes a lot of dedication and time to hike the entire 2,175 mile trail that crosses through fourteen states from Georgia to Maine. Like most people who hike the AT, Susan and Scott were ‘segment’ hiking.

When she mentioned the Appalachian Trail, I knew the perfect spot. Max Patch, near Hot Springs. It is a wonderful bald with 360 degree views. She and Scott took a little trip to see for themselves. They agreed, it was perfect.

My husband, Guy, went with me yesterday. He doesn’t usually travel with me but he agreed to go and take a few photos. We left home in plenty of time because I always allow for the ‘unexpected’. Yesterday we got an ‘unexpected’. We were ahead of schedule and within three miles when we found the road blocked. We were told that a tractor was stuck. Actually it was an 18 wheeler that had attempted the one lane gravel road. Not sure why he chose this route but it probably had to do with a GPS. My Garmin has taken me on quite a few side roads.
 
One problem with remote weddings… spotty cell coverage. I had no way of notifying Scott and Susan of our dilemma. We were told the road should be cleared in about 25 minutes so we sat patiently, watching beautiful butterflies.

The road finally cleared and we were on our way…

Although we only live about 20 miles from each other, I met Susan and Scott for the first time in the parking lot. I made sure they had their marriage license with them before we started the hike.

There are several trails to the top of Max Patch. Scott and Susan chose the shortest one. Which, as you can imagine, is not the easiest trail. I had to rest several times during the climb. Once we reached the top, I took a few minutes to catch my breath.

Doesn't the bride look happy!

It was a beautiful ceremony, full of love. 

Marriage is a journey. There are no maps. There is only a commitment to stay on the same path – to love, honor and cherish each other every day.


During the ceremony, I noticed that someone had joined us. A fellow hiker was passing by and decided to take a few photos of the wedding. We talked a bit and his trail name is ‘FireTower’.

The photos say it all. Almost. For their honeymoon, Susan, Scott and their two dogs are hiking to Hot Springs. A trip they will always remember.

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again my friend
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.