Sunday, April 28, 2013

Surprise Wedding at Lake Lure

I arrived at Lake Lure Thursday morning full of anticipation. I just knew it was going to be a fun day!

Mark and Stacey, along with several friends had ridden their motorcycles from Florida. But... what their friends didn't know was that Mark and Stacey had slipped away and gotten their marriage license.

Mark's sister, Paula had contacted me a couple of weeks ago, wanting to help her brother plan a simple stress-free wedding. She was hopeful they would be able to keep their secret. Well, it worked perfectly!

As I pulled in the parking lot several motorcycles turned in behind me. I knew it was be the happy couple and their friends. I didn't want to spoil the surprise, so I wandered around a little taking a few pictures with my iPhone.

Paula, walked over and introduced herself and then she pretended to ask questions about a restaurant in the area. I walked to the edge of the lake while she gathered everyone for group pictures.

I began talking to the group, asking them where they were from and how long they would be in town. After a little more small talk, I said, 'you know, a lot of people come to Lake Lure to get married.' That started a little commotion and someone said  there was a single couple with them and maybe they should get married. To everyone's surprise, Mark stepped forward and handed me the marriage license. Then they realized Stacey had taken off her jacket to reveal a "Bride" t-shirt.

The look on everyone's face was priceless. After a good bit of laughter and stories of how they almost 'let it slip' Mark and Stacey were married in the waterfront gazebo.
Here's the whole group.

Knowing how people are today, photos were probably posted on Facebook before I left the parking lot!

Memories! Here's to the happy couple....


When you say to the other, “I love you,” what you are saying is, “Hold on tight, the ride is long”.

When your heart and the wide open roads call you, follow just to see what awaits you.