Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Break

What crazy wonderful weather we've been having lately. Actually it's been really warm all winter, not a good thing for the area ski resorts but most people have been pretty happy with our mild winter. With weather well into the upper 70's and low 80's I had to make a quick trip to the coast. Well, maybe not quick... I've been here two weeks now traveling the SC and NC coast.

My first stop was at North Myrtle Beach. It's still hard for me to say that. It will always be Ocean Drive to me. Anyway, look in the center of the photo. People swimming in the ocean. We checked and the ocean water was 58 degrees!

I spent most of my first week visiting with a dear friend from college days. We reminisced about the good old days and wondered where the years have gone. We took a day trip to visit Bonneau Beach for 'all you can eat' steamed oysters. And we did!

After a restful week, I headed north to visit my daughter who lives near Morehead City. I enjoy visiting Atlantic Beach, NC and usually stay in a condo. This time I decided to check out a family owned motel, SeaHawk Inn and Villas.

The best part.... rope swings and hammocks overlooking the ocean....

Here's what I do best at times like this. It was wonderful spending time with my daughter and relaxing. She is a special needs teacher and I think the break was timely for her as well.

After a few days and some great meals with my family I decided I would end my 'spring break' with a trip to my favorite beach, Topsail Island. This is where I will be spending the next few days before returning home to start a busy spring wedding season.
If you haven't been to Topsail Beach, take my word for it, it is BEAUTIFUL. This is a photo of the sound. (don't you just love camera phones?)

There is a nice public access with a park bench or you can walk around the island to the ocean side. It was so peaceful here today, just me and the birds.

I don't think you would find a pretty view than this one right outside my bedroom window.

I've been coming here since the early 70's and the beach has certainly changed. Hurricanes have hit the North Carolina coast hard, particularly this barrier island.

And in case you're wondering what's happening on the wedding side of things. Here's a sneak peak at the covered bridge my darling, wonderful husband is building.
I don't want to rush him but I can't wait to see the finished project. The style and color will match our main cabin so this will make a very unique location for wedding ceremonies.

Enough of this computer stuff.... it's time to head to the beach!