Monday, July 25, 2011

The Things We Do For Love - July Wedding at Chimney Rock State Park

Sunday July 24th is certainly a day I will remember for a long time! Hopefully I will have photos to post soon. I took just a couple with my iPhone. 
 
Like many areas, we have been experiencing a heat wave. Last Friday our thermometer reached 114 degrees. Now even if it's off a little, that is still hot. Last Friday was also the day I was stuck in traffic on I 85 for 3 1/2 hours with the car thermometer reading 103 degrees. Not fun. 

Yesterday, with all the heat, I was a little concerned about the walk to Hickory Nut Falls at Chimney Rock State Park. It's been a dry summer as you can tell from the lack of water flowing.

Thank goodness, Josh and Whitney were smart and planned for a 10:30 ceremony. I arrived at the park around 9:30, wanting to get a head start and give my sweat time to dry before everyone arrived at the waterfall. The walk is not normally too bad and luckily there was a breeze.

I'm always concerned when a hike is involved and remind everyone to bring plenty of water. While walking the trail, I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath. I was looking so forward to the cold water I had packed in my bag. It was my incentive to keep moving. When I arrived at the base of the falls, I placed my bag on the picnic table ready to reward myself. Imagine my surprise when I could not find my water. I was mumbling to a park guest that I couldn't believe that I had left my water behind. The kind hearted soul offered me some from his bottle. I declined his offer but it's always reassuring when strangers come to your rescue.

The area is so beautiful. The breeze quickly dried my perspiration and I was ready when the wedding guests started arriving. And lucky for me, they brought extra water. Josh and I chatted a bit while we waited for Whitney's parents to arrive. Once everyone was in place, it was time for the wedding.

"We have gathered here, surrounded by the beauty of nature, to witness and bless the joining together of this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony."

Like many couples Josh and Whitney wanted a ceremony that focused on love. They chose several Bible passages to be included.

"As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you: abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Whitney and Josh made promises, exchanged rings and celebrated with family and friends. Now they are enjoying their first days of married life.

I will admit I was happy to get home and change clothes. Often, my husband, Guy, just shakes his head at me. After a wedding that requires physical effort he usually tells me 'you know you don't have to do this'. Sometimes I think that means, 'you're getting too old to do this'. He is a wise man and chooses his words carefully! It's not that I have to do it but I can't not do it. I know, I know, terrible grammar. Double negative but it makes my point.

I was a little tired yesterday but did get to try out my new pedometer. And after a little nap in the air conditioning I was good as new! Now... waiting for the next adventure.